Saturday, October 18, 2008

A few observations


Deer hunting season started today. Awesome. While I don't really understand the hunting culture, if it keeps me from having another run-in with Bambi after dark, that's cool with me. (No, I didn't hit him but he did run out in front of me and scare the crap out of me.) However, if I see any strapped across some guy's truck, well, that opinion may be up for revision.

But, deer hunting is just another part of north country culture that I just don't get. This post is devoted to other observations that I've made about life up here.

- Driving. Yes, most people have trucks and follow the speed limit. But then there's what I've termed the "north country drift". Technically, it's a left turn, but they just meander on over, across traffic. Granted, there's usually not traffic, which is why it flies up here. But they cut the corner completely, beginning in the shoulder of the road they are turning onto and drift over to the right lane. Or, even worse, they'll start to drift before they even get to the road/driveway they're turning into. This means, yes, they are driving on the wrong side of the road for a while before they drift through the shoulder and lane where the oncoming traffic would be in more populated areas.
Granted, there's never anything coming when they do this. But I was taught that all turns into other roads should be ninety degrees. Every time I see it, it freaks me out.

- Brie. I went into the market down the road from my apartment and found some - it's delicious - and the check-out clerk looked at it like it was a pod from outer space. Then she asked me if it was like goat cheese. Then we had a lovely conversation about just how exciting goat cheese is. But she had never heard of brie. Never even seen it, even though it is for sale at her place of employment. Guess there's not much demand for it.

- Small town America. Yes, I know, that's kind of the purpose of this blog. But, I've lived in my apartment for three-ish months. When I went grocery shopping at Wal-Mart on a Friday night after work, I ran into two people that I knew. A) Wal-Mart is freaking huge. B) Who goes grocery shopping on a Friday night?
What are the odds of this? Pretty good, apparently. I've also run into people I know several times at the aforementioned market.

- It's mid-October and by 5:30, the sun is setting. Isn't that a little early? I submit that it is.

This list will grow as I notice other stuff.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Hey Biff:) I just found your blog. How's it going up there? I'm not quite as far out as you but there are some similarities here in Rochester. It freaked me out for almost a year when strangers would say hi and talk to me! It takes some getting used to. Keep up the blogging! Glad to hear you're ok. Come visit if you need a trip to the "big city" :) Ha!

Grace said...

OMG that is hilarious about the brie thing. And about the "saying hello" thing. If you go for a walk on our street upstate, people in their cars will even wave to you as they drive by! It's just a totally different world.