Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Let's go Tech!


I feel that I have officially become a resident of the north country - I went to my first-ever hockey game on Saturday (click on the Clarkson vs Yale slideshow).

And it was awesome.

Of course, I really don't understand the rules. But it's the first sport in my repertoire where that doesn't really matter. I did learn about icing and high sticking and the thing where a member of the opposing team deliberately crashes into someone from behind although I clearly don't remember what it's called. Someone who does, feel free to remind me in the comments section. Thanks.

This game bore absolutely no resemblance to my brother's roller hockey games when we were tweens, no offense to him. Most obviously, of course, it on ice, rather than pavement. But it was incredibly fast, and rather brutal. Which is why it was okay that I didn't really understand what was going on.

Unfortunately, the Clarkson Golden Knights lost to the Yale Bulldogs 3-2. But it was okay. Hopefully, they will make up for it at the next game. Because I'm totally up for going back.

One of my favorite things about the game was the crowd. The student section was obviously the most active and the most crowded. Walking in, we even passed a bunch of guys who had completely painted their chests green. It looked like they were wearing turtlenecks. Of paint. Every time the marching band - who sadly did not attempt to march across the ice - played a certain song, the students all started to do a choreographed dance-type-thing. It consisted of doing a sideways chopping-type action to the left and then the right and then left and right again faster, ending with a body shake. Hilarious.

Even better was the three year old boy sitting behind me - we were not sitting in the student section because it was standing room only by the time we got there - who knew all the cheers. All of them. From "let's go tech" to "you can skate" to I don't even know what else. And he was wearing a Clarkson hockey jersey. Did I mention that he was three?!? Too cute.

Cheel - the building that holds the rink, student center and on-campus bar - was incredible. It was my first experience with a really big, D-1 university. They don't build 'em like this at tiny private elitist colleges like Goucher. It was huge and had a Subway, among other vendors, inside. And stands selling Clarkson hockey paraphernalia all over the place. I was tempted to buy something. Maybe at the next game.

I was also surprised to find out how many Canadians go to Clarkson. Or maybe there aren't actually that many and they all just happen to play Clarkson hockey. Seriously, about half the team was from north of the border. They even played the Canadian anthem before the American one at the start of the game. Pretty cool. And one guy was from Finland. His name was Loren. Therefore, he is awesome.

1 comment:

Grace said...

Body checking is the thing you're looking for, but you're not supposed to do it from behind...I think that's cause for a penalty.

I'm making your bow tonight!!!